Development and validation of models to predict respiratory function in persons with long-term spinal cord injury

Raab, Anja; de Groot, Sonja; Berlowitz, David J.; Post, Marcel W. M.; Adriaansen, Jacinthe; Hopman, Maria; Müller, Gabi (2019). Development and validation of models to predict respiratory function in persons with long-term spinal cord injury Spinal Cord, 57(12), pp. 1064-1075. Springer Nature 10.1038/s41393-019-0313-1

[img] Text
AMR_validation_models_SCI.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to registered users only
Available under License Publisher holds Copyright.

Download (1MB) | Request a copy

Study Design Multicenter, cross-sectional study. Objectives To validate previously developed respiratory function prediction models for persons with long-term spinal cord injury (SCI) and if necessary develop and validate new models. Setting Ten SCI rehabilitation centers. Methods Five respiratory function parameters were measured in adults with chronic, traumatic, motor complete SCI (C4-T12). First, the models published in 2012 were validated using Bland-Altman plots. Then, new models were calculated using 80% of the dataset by multiple regression analysis with the candidate predictors gender, age, height, weight, time post injury (TPI), lesion level, and smoking. In a third step, the new models were validated using the other 20% of the dataset by Bland–Altman plots. Results In total 613 participants were included. For persons with long-term SCI, the 2012 models were poorly predictive, especially for respiratory muscle strength (R2 = 0.4). Significant predictors for all respiratory function parameters in the new models (R2 = 0.7–0.8) were lesion level, gender and weight. Small effects on single outcome parameters were observed for TPI and age whereas smoking had no effect. For the new models the mean differences between measured and predicted values for respiratory muscle strength were 4.0 ± 36.0 cm H2O and for lung function parameters −0.5 ± 1.2 L (FVC), −0.3 ± 0.9 L (FEV1) and −0.5 ± 2.0 L/s (PEF). Conclusion We did not find better models for lung function in long-term SCI but those for respiratory muscle strength showed better accuracy. Sponsorship The content of this publication was developed under grant from Wings for Life, grant number WFL-CH-017/14.

Item Type:

Journal Article (Original Article)

Division/Institute:

Health Professions

Name:

Raab, Anja0000-0002-4139-2173;
de Groot, Sonja;
Berlowitz, David J.;
Post, Marcel W. M.;
Adriaansen, Jacinthe;
Hopman, Maria and
Müller, Gabi

Subjects:

R Medicine > RM Therapeutics. Pharmacology
R Medicine > RZ Other systems of medicine

ISSN:

1362-4393

Publisher:

Springer Nature

Language:

English

Submitter:

Anja Raab

Date Deposited:

04 Nov 2020 10:22

Last Modified:

04 Nov 2020 10:22

Publisher DOI:

10.1038/s41393-019-0313-1

ARBOR DOI:

10.24451/arbor.13135

URI:

https://arbor.bfh.ch/id/eprint/13135

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item
Provide Feedback